After the big event “Oshogatsu” (Japanese New Year’s Day), it’s another event today, Nanakusa no sekku.
It’s seven herbs day and peaple eat seven herbs rice porrige to hope health for a new year.
What is Nanakusa no sekku
Seven herbs is
- Water dropwort – seri (せり )
- Shepherd’s Purse – nazuna (なずな)
- Cudweed – gogyō (ごぎょう)
- Chickweed – hakobera (はこべら)
- Nipplewort – hotokenoza (ほとけのざ)
- Turnip — suzuna (すずな)
- Radish — suzushiro (すずしろ)
If you live in Japan, you can easily find the ingredients.
Especially this week, you can find the Haru no Nanakusa ( Spring seven herbs) package for the porrige.
1 cup of Rice
4 cups of water
1 pack of seven herbs ( only one piece for each)
1. Place the rice and water in a pot then cook for 45minutes. with lower heat.
2. During that time, Cook the herbs in boiled water for 10sec – 1 minute with a pinch of salt. Drain the water then chop into small pieces.
3. When the porrige is done, add the chopped herbs and a pinch of salt.
We traditionally have it in the morning on Jan 7th.
Japanese herbs are very light flavor but good for your health, and it’s so nice too since our stomach is tired because we kept eating during the holiday!