Okowa originally came from China, it’s steamed rice.
I love the texture anthe rich flavor, since we use a lot of Umami for it, and you can eat it as a snack if it’s Onigiri shape.
(it’s already seasoned)
I show you how to make no meat one, but please arrange different vegetable or meat (I think chicken or pork is nice) 🙂
3 rice cups of Japanese sticky rice (about 560cc)
2 medium carrot, diced
3 dried Shiitake, soaked in the water and sliced
1 cup of dried small shrimp
(A) 1 Tbs. sugar
(A) 3 Tbs. soy sauce
(A) 2 Tbs. Sake
1 cup of water (which is used for soaking dried mushroom)
– Soak the stiky rice with enough water for 1 hour in advance, then drain the water
– Soak the dried Shiitake in 300-400cc water for few hours in advance
1. Place 2 Tbs. of vegetable oil in a pan then pan-fry the dried shrimp until you have good flavor.
Then add the sliced mushroom, and carrot.
2. When all the ingredients are almost cooked, add all the (A)s then cook for few minutes.
3. In the other pan, place 2 Tbs. vegetable oil the pan-fry the sticky rice.
4. When the rice became clear, add alal the (2) and 1 cup of Dashi (from soaking the mushroom) then cook until all the liquid is gone.
5. Place all of them in a steamer then steam it for 20mins.
You can eat Okowa as rice, or it’s also nice to make Onigirg which is my favorite 🙂